Saturday, July 23, 2011

Everybody Should Go Camping

Of all my work assignments, nothing gives me more joy than a visit to a YMCA Camp.  Maybe it's all the good memories I have of camp when I was a kid, but a camp visit leaves me smiling for days.
This week I was lucky enough to attend the board meeting at the YMCA of Greater Charlotte's Camp Harrison.


The venue was breathtaking, the food was fine, and the finances are impressive.  But when you have the opportunity to see the kids -- the ones we pay (staff) and the ones that pay us (campers) it almost brings a tear to the eye.  Of all the good, life-changing work the Y is a part of, nothing is easier to understand than our camp work.

I'm not saying it's more important than the rest of our work, but it's easy and fun.  I mean, who else gets to table dance at lunch?  At least in a context you can talk about at church on Sunday? 

No comments:

Post a Comment